Saturday, November 29, 2014

Daring New 'Do

My goal #18 was to "let a hair stylist do a bold cut on me with no instructions."  I didn't actually set out to achieve this goal yesterday, but it kind of happened anyway.

My intention was to get my hair straightened and trimmed.  Way back in April, I let my old stylist talk me into getting a perm.  I hadn't had one of those since the 1990s, but I was at that awkward point of growing my hair out, and she talked me into some soft waves to get me over wanting to chop my hair out.  And much to my surprise, I loved it.  It was a great summer style.  I didn't have to do a darn thing to my hair all summer long.  Wash it, put in some mousse, and I was good to go.  Easy, wavy cuteness all summer long.

And all fall.  And now we're into winter.  Apparently the perm chemicals have improved a lot since the '90s, when my last perm lasted for less than 2 weeks before falling out of out my resiliently straight hair.

But it was definitely time for the perm to go.  I had not expected it to last nearly this long.  I hadn't had my hair cut since April. I had no idea what to do with a perm in the winter.  Every time I tried to dry my hair, it got all weird and 'fro-like.  As long as I let it air-dry, it was cute, but as winter comes on, that's starting to result in frozen hair in the mornings.  And my hair is so thick that if I pulled it back in a ponytail, it was literally still wet by bedtime.  Yuck.  And it had just gotten so long that it was starting to feel unmanageable.

BUT, I had succeeded in growing out my hair.  So I figured, hey, perming it wasn't all that expensive (back in Delphi).  Surely straightening it will be about the same price.  So I'll just straighten it, get it cut into a cute, longish style, a little lighter than its current state (I found one I liked on Pinterest), and we'll be good to go.  I asked friends for a recommendation on a hair place and called and made an appointment.  Just before hanging up, I asked, "Can you give me an estimate on how much that will be?"  Thank goodness I asked.  Apparently straightening is $130.  Toto, we're not in Delphi anymore.

I gulped, thought of all the other things I could do with $130, and changed my appointment to just a cut.  Then I broke the news to Ben that, surprise! Today is going to be the day that I get that "bold new style."

So I walked into the salon (Beauty Brands) two hours later, having never met the stylist (Hailey) before, and told her to do whatever she wanted to my hair.  She initially thought I was a little crazy, but once I explained the situation, she swung into action.  I specified that the decision was completely up to her, and she said okay, but since she had never met me before, she said that she wanted me to look at a couple of pictures and let her know what I liked and what I hated so that I didn't end up with a cut that I hated.  That seemed reasonable.  So she paged through some books of of hairstyles and pointed out some pictures, and I told her which ones I liked and which ones I didn't.  Then she got more specific with questions about what I liked and what I didn't about each cut.  She seemed to know exactly what she was looking for, and the whole picture process took probably three minutes before she nodded definitively and said, "Okay, I know exactly what I'm going to do."

So she started snipping away and I read a book and tried not to look in the mirror until she was done, in spite of the disconcerting feeling that I was losing a LOT of hair.

So this is what I started with:

And this is how I ended up:


And I LOVE IT!!!  I couldn't stop sneaking peeks in the mirror for the rest of the night.  I feel so stylish!!  I will definitely be going back to get my hair cut there again.  I'm definitely giving this 40 x 40 goal a big thumbs up.  :)
1 / 1

21 comments:

  1. from Heather Simnick Roth via Facebook:
    Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Anna Webb via Facebook:
    Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. from Elizabeth Mottley via Facebook:
    I love it, too! Looks great, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. from Carissa Bartholomew via Facebook:
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. from Alexandra McMahon via Facebook:
    Super stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. from David Pfanschmidt via Facebook:
    Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. from Connie Davis via Facebook:
    Beautiful! !

    ReplyDelete
  8. from Peggy Schoenheider via Facebook:
    Yes! Count me in the love line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. from Leah Broadstreet via Facebook:
    Looks great, funny enough that is very close to the haircut I got.

    ReplyDelete
  10. from Tracy Heilman via Facebook:
    Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. from Kristin Faletic via Facebook:
    I love it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. from Jen Haase Cary via Facebook:
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. from Mandy Belcher Spencer via Facebook:
    So cute! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. from Bonnie Barrow:j
    I love it too! You're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. from Ashley Wooden:
    Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. from Jamie Zurawski Jones via Facebook:
    Love it Amy!!! Looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. from Cindi Clark via Facebook:
    WOW!!! Adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. from Amy Gaisford Johnson via Facebook:
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. from Tina Pfanschmidt via Facebook:
    Beautiful hair - beautiful daughter...

    ReplyDelete
  20. from Katrina Elliott via Facebook:
    Adorable!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. from Andrea Eertmoed via Facebook:
    That's awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete