Saturday, November 22, 2014

Two Weeks of Friends

My goal #37 is to "make time weekly to relax and refresh by spending time reconnecting with friends."  I neglected to post anything about this last week, so I'm posting today about the last two weeks.

Last week, I got to enjoy brief chats with a lot of friends, but my big get-out-and-enjoy-myself day was on Friday.  I took the boys over for a playdate with my friend Carrie and her daughter Kaia.  The kids played together beautifully while Carrie and I had a much-needed catch-up session.  Carrie has been working full-time for the past year, and before that, I was in Delphi, so it's been ages since we have been able to have a good, long, one-on-one chat.  This was a really good time with a good friend... hopefully just the first of many to come now that she's going to be home for a while!!

Then, over the weekend, my dad and stepmom came to town for a visit.  It was so great getting to see them.  We also got to spend some time on Saturday with my sister Kristin, brother-in-law Brian, and sweet nephew Mason.  It's always wonderful to spend time with family, and especially great to see my kids with one of their cousins!

This week, I've actually gotten to see my friend Andrea a couple of times.  We got a short visit on Tuesday after she watched Aiden for me, and then she brought her kids over for a playdate on Thursday night.  We also got some great girl time by going out on Wednesday night to book club.  This was definitely one of the highlights of my week--dinner and book discussion with a great group of ladies.  Being able to see more of Andrea has definitely been one of the biggest perks of living in our new town.  Who knew that those late night conversations in the hallways of ResCo all those years ago would lead to a life as adult neighbors and two sets of bestie daughters?  But I'm so glad they did!

I've also had some great talks with friends at a distance this week.  I got to talk to my BFF Melissa on the phone, which is always a highlight.  We could talk for hours if given the chance; our conversations always feel too short to catch up on everything that's going on in our lives.  It's quite comforting, really, to know that I've been saying, "Hey, it's me," when she picks up the phone for nearly 27 years now.  I'm so blessed to have a friend who has always understood me so well.

I also did some massive texting with my other friend Melissa, my former boss at the Monticello library, this week.  Because, you know, I HAD to discuss The Raven Boys.  Which led to many other library discussions.  I'm so glad to have a friend who loves to geek out over books with me and who understands my love of all things library-related.

The icing on the cake (teehee, pun intended) was getting to see several dear friends today during Shay's birthday party.  While I didn't get to talk to any of them for as long as I would have liked, it was great to get to sneak in short conversations with all of them amidst the craziness of kids jumping of inflatables.  So glad to talk to Alicia, Lauren, and Stu--and definitely hoping to schedule more time to see all of them soon!

Definitely feeling blessed at all the good friends I have.

2 / 208

1 comment: