Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Recipe: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars


vegan pumpkin chocolate chip bars   

This one is another awesome fall dessert.  I think I made it three times this fall.  The last time it turned out far gooier than the other times, but Ben baked it that time, so maybe he didn't keep it in for quite long enough.  It was still delicious though, and had kind of the consistency of warm yet raw cookie dough.  I gobbled it up, but was kind of regretful because we took it to a party and no one else wanted it.  To be fair, that may have also been because of the presence of this incredible-looking Reeses-gluten-filled competitor.  Ah well, more for me.

I first found this deliciousness on Pinterest, then traced it back to Vegan Mother Hubbard.  I'm always a little surprised when I find something awesome on vegan sites, as I tend to associate my diet this days more with paleo than vegan, because you know.... grain bad, meat good.  But I've found some of my favorites on vegetarian and vegan sites, and should probably remember to look there more often.

You can find this entire recipe here.  While it looks absolutely incredible, I have not yet tried the accompanying recipe for Pumpkin Spice Buttercream.... so no, my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars did not have the gorgeous presentation of the ones pictured above, with the amazing perfect dollops of cream and swirls of chocolate.  But man, were they yummy.  So, with all credit given to Vegan Mother Hubbard, here's my reproduction of the recipe for my family's cookbook:

Ingredients
  1. 1/2 cup vegan butter
  2. 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  3. 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
  4. 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
  5. 1 tsp vanilla extract
  6. 1 cup flour
  7. 1 tbsp flax meal
  8. 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  9. 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  10. 1/4 tsp cloves
  11. 1/2 tsp baking soda
  12. 1/2 tsp baking powder
  13. 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  14. 1 cups vegan, semi-sweet chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8x8 inch cake pan.
  2. 2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars, until smooth.
  3. 3. Add the pumpkin and vanilla. Beat until well combined (the mixture will look grainy).
  4. 4. In a separate, medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, including the chocolate chips.
  5. 5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and bet until well combined.
  6. 6. Spread the batter into the cake pan and bake for about 22 minutes. The bars are done when firm in the center and the edges are pulling away from the sides of the pan.
  7. 7. Cool completely in the pan, before cutting, frosting with pumpkin spice buttercream, and serving.
Notes
  1. For the chocolate drizzle, microwave 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1 tsp coconut oil on low, for 1 1/2-2 minutes. Stir with a fork, to make sure it is completely melted. I used a plastic sandwich bag with a tiny bit of the corner cut off, as a piping bag to drizzle the chocolate over the bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment