Monday, December 29, 2014

Recipe: Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes


Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes

The intro to the article on this website reads "These mashed potatoes will change your life.  Creamy, tons of flavor, and seriously the easiest mashed potatoes you will ever make--you'll never go back to boiling and smashing!"  After trying the recipe this Thanksgiving, I can't argue with a single part of that statement.

I first found the recipe on Pinterest (where, apparently, I find all of my recipes) and then traced it back to Creme de la Crumb.  This recipe was incredibly easy and, as mashed potatoes go, delicious.  To be honest, I've always thought that mashed potatoes were kind of bland, but these actually had a nice bit of flavor to them (probably due to the sour cream and garlic).  The recipe also suggests topping them with cheese and bacon or other yummy things, which I would definitely be willing to do in the future (but didn't do at Thanksgiving, because hello, my table was already overflowing).

My only complaint was that the recipe yielded WAY too many potatoes for Ben and I to eat by ourselves, and while the kids did eat tiny helpings, they didn't even make a dent in the massive Mountain of Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes, so in the future, I'd either cut down the recipe or make sure to make this at a time when we were sharing dinner with friends.  They did reheat okay for the first couple of days but got kind of dry after that (or maybe that was just in my mind, because I simply couldn't stomach any more potato).

Here is a link to the original recipe, complete with tantalizing pictures.  Here's my copy for my recipe book, with full credit given to Creme de la Crumb:

SLOW COOKER MASHED POTATOES
 
PREP TIME
COOK TIME
TOTAL TIME
 
These mashed potatoes will change your life. Creamy, tons of flavor, and seriously the easiest mashed potatoes you will ever make - you'll never go back to boiling and smashing!
Author: 
Recipe type: Side Dish
Cuisine: American
Serves: 6
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 2 inch pieces (you can peel them but I never do - I love red potato skins in my mashed potatoes!)
  • ½ cup sour cream (or plain greek yogurt)
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
Try Swanson® Chicken Broth in this Recipe.
 
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chopped potatoes. Cover and cook 2-3 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
  2. Add sour cream, milk, garlic, salt, and pepper to potatoes. Use a hand mixer to blend together all ingredients. (Please see note below recipe!) Give them a taste and add more salt if desired. Serve plain, or with any favorite toppings such as gravy, or cheese and bacon. OR - check out my brand new variation - Slow Cooker Buttery Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes!
NOTES
*This recipe can easily be doubled for large groups - just increase the cooking time by 1-2 hours. 
**You can also smash the potatoes if you prefer, I like to use the hand mixer because it is so FAST and easy and I can make them as smooth or as textured as I want to be mixing them for a longer or shorter time!

No comments:

Post a Comment