Thursday, February 12, 2015

Volunteer x8

I haven't posted in nearly a month.  That doesn't mean that I haven't been working on my goals, it just means that I've been so busy doing that I haven't been writing.  Not a bad problem to have, but I'd still like to find a balance there.

Here's the quick update on my volunteering count:

* I went back to the elementary school library and did the weeding for M through T.

* I volunteered for another week of Clarity with the high schoolers at my church.  I really like these kids.  While I do have to admit that it's hard to drag myself out at night, particularly when my own kids are getting ready to bed, I really do enjoy working with them.

* I went back to the elementary school library (again) and finished weeding the fiction collection.  I then moved on to helping with inventory.

* I volunteered to help with a week of Friday Night Outlook, which our church's program for 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders.  I was with the 1st and 2nd graders.  Shay pretty much suction-cupped herself to my side.  My primary role was to shush the really loud boys during worship and to keep anybody from falling down the stairs when they got too rowdy, but I had a lot of fun.  :)

* I went to another PTO meeting, this one specifically focused on planning Spring Fling, which is apparently a big carnival thing.

* I went back to the elementary school library for another week of inventory.

* I was the "guest reader" in Shay's 1st grade classroom and entertained the kids with You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?, How To Get Married, and The Day the Crayons Quit.

* I volunteered at Friday Night Outlook again.  I was with the 3rd graders this time, and totally amazed at how much more mature that one year makes them.  They actually focused on the talk during worship time and had tons of great questions at the end.  Great group!

So that's 8 more times volunteering, bringing me to a current total of 16.  I'm kind of starting to wonder if I'll be able to finish my goal of "volunteer 40 times" by the end of my first year!


16 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment