Friday, August 26, 2016

Utah: June 21, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben in the summer of 2003....

Day 14--Saturday, June 21

I don't know what was the matter with me, but I just couldn't sleep last night.  I somehow managed to develop a pounding headache after Ben fell asleep, so this kept me from getting any good deep sleep.  Finally, a little after 5:00, I woke Ben up, forced him away from the entrance to the tent, and went to the car to get some Advil.  After that, I managed to fall into a good sleep until a little after 8:00.  When I got up for the second time, I startled two deer who had slept in a little hollow of grass less than 10 feet from our tent!


We broke camp as quickly as we could, but we had been so relaxed the night before that we really weren't very prepared.  The drive down the mountain took a good long time, and we had to drive through Moab again in order to get going the right direction.  This took a very long time.  Ben has had stomachaches for the last two or three mornings, and combining that with today's winding paths down rocky mountains led to him feeling a little carsick.


Today has been essentially all driving.  We did manage to get showers at a Conoco--right before we entered an area which offered "no services" for a little less than 200 miles!  We drove through Salt Lake City but didn't really stop because we knew we had a long drive ahead of us.  We went through the rest of Utah, then all of Idaho, then cut the corner of Montana, and then into Wyoming to Yellowstone National Park.


6 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment