Saturday, September 17, 2016

Arizona: July 7, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben during the summer of 2003....


Day 30--Monday, July 7, 2003


Departing Las Vegas before 11:00, it took us until sometime between 7:00 and 8:00 to arrive at the Grand Canyon.  This was a long and frustrating drive--hot, me still feeling the ill effects of my yuckiness from the night before, and upset because we hadn't realized it would take so long.  Around 6:00, we stopped to go to the bathroom, and Ben decided he would make us feel better by allowing us to purchase whatever souvenirs we wanted of the Southwest.  I think this was primarily in order to allow himself to purchase a brown leather hat, but it did cheer us up a bit.  We also cleaned out and rearranged the car for maximum comfort on our long, long drive.


I remember when I was a senior in high school in Linda Wood's honors English class.  She described the Grand Canyon as this amazing feel of catharsis, too big and too beautiful for words.  When I got my own first glimpse, I knew exactly what she meant.  Its beauty made all of the driving worth it.  I could have soaked up that sight for an entire day, and it felt like we had to go way too soon.  This is one place I definitely want to return to for a lengthy family vacation someday to do it the right way.





Back in the car, we finally managed to get a hold of our campsite, who claimed that we didn't have a reservation.  Normally this would have been a huge cause for concern, but under the circumstances, it was the best thing that could have happened because it meant we wouldn't be stuck with a cancellation fee.  We were free to drive all night.


We had dinner at a Pizza Hut, and then we began on that lengthy drive.  Ben couldn't fall asleep, so he read while I drove.  I napped for a bit while he drove, and in the middle of the night, we pulled up at a truck stop just outside Albuquerque.




13 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment