Wednesday, September 7, 2016

California: June 30, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben in the summer of 2003....

Day 23--Monday, June 30, 2003

It took us a while to get the car packed back up, since we had taken quite the conglomeration of random items into the hotel room over the past two days.  Once we left the room, my wonderful boyfriend made sure that we got a good view of the Golden Gate Bridge, and we drove along Lombard Street, the most winding street in the US.  He also somehow managed to find the Palace of Fine Arts.  The museum is closed on Mondays, which was just fine by us, since all we really wanted to see was the grounds.  The huge columns and architecture reminded me of Italy, and the green shrubs and perfectly blue sky above us made it look like something out of a storybook.  We event found a beautiful turquoise lake with swans peacefully floating in it.  This was definitely a worthwhile stop.



 After winding through the streets, we eventually found a Costco on Tenth Street.  We got Gatorade, trail mix, bread, turkey and cheese, and some other supplies, and then we were on the road.

I fixed us some turkey and cheese sandwiches with some mustard and mayo we got from Wendy's while we were driving, and I took over the driving about an hour later.  Momentarily taking on my car persona, Ben quickly fell asleep and was knocked out for the next two and a half hours, except for random moments when he would sit up and talk in his sleep.

By the time we switched drivers again, we had less than 100 miles to Santa Barbara, our destination for the night.  However, these miles stretched on for an incredibly long time, due to our complete inability to find the campsite.  By the time we got around to calling for directions, the office was already closed, so we were doomed to driving up and down the coastline, trying to find McGrath State Beach.  When we finally got there, we had to drive around and pick out a site.  When we finally got settled, it was already starting to get dark.

We made Spaghetti-Os for dinner, and then Ben decided to experiment and cooked the pasta inside a pot-pie.  It was completely dark by the time we were done eating, so we got ready for bed and cleaned up as best we could.  We crawled into our tent, and I talked to Jolyne on my cell phone while Ben eavesdropped on the conversations of the people in the RV next to us.  The RV owner was telling his friends about how his brother lives in Las Vegas and is just going to gamble until the money runs out.  We fell asleep to the sound of this man's incessant talking.

11 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment