Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Floriday: July 15, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben during the summer of 2003....


Day 39--Tuesday, July 15, 2003


For some reason, I didn't sleep well, and I woke up tired.  That's always a really discouraging feeling for me.  But we showered, got ready, and took off for Epcot, ready to have another good day with Mickey and friends.


Unfortunately, Epcot doesn't run transportation from the whole parking lot like the other theme parks do, so we had to walk to the park from the car.  Our first stop inside the park (after deciding we didn't want to spend $25 to Leave a Legacy) was the Wonders of Life.  We began by doing Body Wars, which was basically the same thing as Star Tours except featuring a trip through the body.  I didn't feel so great after that!




We then played with some of the displays, including some headphones that played different familiar sounds and asked the listener to pick out the sounds that didn't belong, such as popcorn popping during a rainstorm.  We then saw Cranium Command, a really cute show about little Buzzy piloting the brain of a 12-year-old boy and having to make all the different parts of the brain and body work together.  We then decided to skip watching The Making of Me!


We then did the Universe of Energy, where we went on a really neat ride/tour featuring Ellen DeGeneres and Bill Nye the Science Guy.  The premise was that Ellen had a nightmare that she was on Jeopardy, so Bill took her on a journey to teach her everything he knew about energy.  The ride started by taking us through a world of dinosaurs, and Ellen walked across huge video screens in each room to narrate.  I really liked it and thought the whole thing was very interesting--also interesting that they kept the show featuring Ellen in spite of the storm of criticism she's received in the past few years after announcing that she's gay.  I was impressed with Disney for not nixing her because of conservative complaints.


Then, onward to the Test Track, provided by General Motors.  We got to ride in a "test car" and experience all of the ways in which cars are tested by car companies before they're let out on the roads.  Let me tell you, all roller coasters should be like this one!  Nice and smooth, no sudden jerks, nothing but sheer speed.  Fantastic!


We then went on to Imagination!  I remember this one being my favorite as a kid.  We got to do Honey, I Shrunk the Audience again--every bit as good here as at Disneyland.  Then we did Journey Into Imagination with Figment, which was still cute but not as amazing as I remember it being from when I was young.  Figment was actually a little annoying, and I didn't feel like I really learned anything.  Cute, though.


We did a walk-through of ImageWorks--the Kodak "What If" Labs and played a little with directing symphonies just by waving our arms, but we skilled most of it because it was so crowded with little kids.  Then, on to The Land!




First, we saw The Circle of Life, which bills itself as examining "man's relationship with the land" while featuring Simba, Pumbaa, and Timon from Disney's "The Lion King."  I was beyond depressed when I came out of that thing, because it was all about how humans have messed up the earth's environment.  Probably more upsetting to adults than kids.


We then saw "Food Rocks," which was a cheesy show (no pun intended) in which various pieces of food sing made-over rock songs about good nutrition.  We then got on the Living with the Land ride, which was really cool.  It took us on a tour through Disney's greenhouses, which I was surprised to learn even existed.  They cultivate all kinds of plants I've never seen in all kinds of creative ways, and it made me excited to get into a house of our own so we can start an extensive garden.  It also made me like Disney for giving back to the environment, although I must say that after those displays, the amount of plastic cups and silverware thrown away in each trash can kind of appalled me.


Our next stop was The Living Seas, which showed a semi-interesting video and then took us down into a huge aquarium.  I have to admit that I was so tired I could barely appreciate it.  After a few minutes of halfhearted looking, I convinced Ben to take me back to the campsite for a nap.




Once we managed to get back out to the car and then back to the campsite, the nap was a long time in coming.  I had counted on there being an afternoon rainstorm to cool things off like the previous two days, but it never came.  Instead, it was just hot and humid, sticky and uncomfortable in the tent.  I got incredibly frustrated and upset, and eventually I went with Ben's recommendation to cool off in the shower.  I then curled up on my mat in the Jeep in the air conditioning and managed to sleep for a while.  I still felt totally drained when I woke up.  We got dinner at Steak 'n' Shake, did a little halfhearted souvenir shopping, and returned to the campsite for a blessed long night of sleep.





18 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment