Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Texas: July 9, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben during the summer of 2003....


Day 33--Wednesday, July 9, 2003


Following Carlsbad, it wasn't too long before we crossed over the Texas state line and were in for our long haul.  We stopped briefly at the Guadalupe Mountains National Park for Ben to get a stamp.  The road we were on was a two-lane road through lonely country.  We passed in between two mountain ranges.  The scenery was gorgeous, but we didn't see any signs of civilization, no other cars, no turn-offs, no buildings, nothing, for over an hour.




I tried calling Bob, Tom, and Mike in Houston to see if they wanted to get together for breakfast in the morning, but I got their machine, and knowing their habits, I didn't have much hope of them picking up the message.  And we kept driving....


We stopped in Fort Stockton for dinner at a place called K-Bob's Steakhouse.  It looked a little scary from the outside, but our meals were fabulous.  Ben had a ribeye, and I had a sirloin with mushrooms.  We both had unlimited trips to the "salad wagon," which was the best salad bar I've ever had!  We also got "Texas toothpicks," which were breaded onions and jalapenos.  We were both stuffed by the time we left, but we had consumed an awesome dinner to get us through the long night ahead.


So we drove... and drove... and drove.  I drove for the first portion of the night, and around 4:30, Ben took over.  I tossed and turned and tried to sleep.  I was in and out of wakefulness.  Basically, it was just a very long night.




15 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment