Friday, September 2, 2016

Washington: June 26, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben in the summer of 2003....




Day 19--Thursday, June 26, 2003


Packing up took longer than expected in the morning, but we did eventually make our way back to the Shell station in Queets to get showers.  We got there around 8:00.  Both bathrooms were occupied when we got there, which greatly confused the woman working the register because the two men had paid for the showers at 7:00 and there was supposed to be a 20 minute time limit.  We used the time to get rearranged a bit better, and when a father and his late-teenager son eventually exited the two bathrooms, we got to shower--in the quite nasty conditions they left behind!


I was a tired baby as we got on the road.  I drove the first shift, but as soon as Ben took over, I was fast asleep.  I woke as we were nearing Mt. St. Helen's.


I have to admit that I was not overly impressed.  To me, it just looked like any other mountain.  And since there were certainly no indications that it will be erupting any time soon (or ever again), we only poked around for a very short time before we got on the road again.


We had lunch at "Chuck's Taco," a tiny little taco place in a gas station that used to be a Taco Bell but went independent at the first of the year, a fact that the woman behind the counter was extremely proud of.  Then, the drive resumed.



9 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment