Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Canada and New York: July 28, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben during the summer of 2003....


Day 52--Monday, July 28, 2003


Niagara Glen View's showers had only two temperatures--scalding and freezing.  This made showering an interesting experience.  I looked at the map while Ben was in the shower and realized that we had another very long drive ahead of us.


We drove into town, parked the car, fed the Canadian meter with American coins, and took an odd sitting-down elevator-type thing (also paid for with American coins) down to the viewpoints for Horseshoe Falls.


I kind of felt about Niagara Falls like I did about the Grand Canyon--it's just so big and so beautiful and so powerful and majestic that there's just no way to describe it.  Seeing millions of tons of water flowing downward so fast right next to you is an amazing experience.  We wandered along the edge, looking at it from all different angles.  At one point, we were so close that I felt I could reach out and touch it.  I think standing that close and staring into the swiftly flowing water made me feel more motion sickness than anything else on the trip.






After we had stared and stared and stared, we returned to the car and navigated the roads toward the American side.  We had to go through a security checkpoint, where the guard looked at us suspiciously when we said we had been at Niagara Falls and said, "What were you doing there?"  Um, looking at the water, sir.  "Border guard' is not a job I would want!


On the American side, in the state of New York, we parked in a hotel lot and then wandered through Goat Park until we found the booth to purchase tickets for the Maid of the Mist tour.  We were both delighted to learn that we could keep the see-through blue ponchos they provided for the boat ride... Yes, we are scavengers at heart!


The boat ride itself was incredible.  We went right up to the falls, and I got wet even through my poncho.  The mist was flying everywhere, making it hard to see, and I tried to peer out from underneath my poncho's hood.  I just couldn't believe how much power nature displayed all in one place.






After getting our requisite postcards and magnet, we embarked on yet another long car trip.  We tried to kill some of the time by memorizing all 50 state capitals.  We arrived in Catskill, New York, a small town outside Albany which has seen better days, around bedtime.  We ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on stale bread and in our hotel room and then fell into bed, exhausted.




21 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment