Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Maine: August 3, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben during the summer of 2003....


Day 58--Sunday, August 3, 2003


In the morning, Ben informed me that I had missed a second and lengthy set of horrifying screams.  Unlike me, he had realized that it was a baby at a nearby campsite, and he described the noise as "it sounded like someone was raking him over hot coals."  Mercifully, I managed to sleep through all of this and got up around 9:00.


We had a nice lazy morning and early afternoon.  We ate, read, and napped until it was time to head back to the concert.  We stopped on the way for a round of disc golf at a small course.  Ben did pretty well, and the course was incredibly challenging.  I'm ashamed to admit that I did not do so well, and furthermore, got into a bad mood because of my lack of abilities.  I spent most of the time swatting at the dozens of bizarre varieties of bugs that seemed to only want to attack me and not Ben.  After 18 holes, I was definitely ready to be done.


After driving to Loring Air Force Base and making the long trek to the concert site from day parking, we arrived in the middle of the first song.  We took quite a while trying to find good seats.  We walked through large mud puddles and totally trashed our shoes.  During the first night, we had sat right behind the road, which was interesting at first because I could see so many people, but then ended up being a bad thing because so many of those people were doing things that upset me.  So, for the second night, we were aiming for a more out-of-the-way spot.  We eventually found one, set back from the road, a short distance away from the vendors.  There were only a few other people sitting nearby, and we could actually see the stage and the screens.  I was much, much happier during the second night of the concert.






I thought the music seemed a little louder the second night, which was also good, because it had sounded far away during the first night.  We ate our Subway sandwiches for dinner and enjoyed the show.  During the extremely long set break, Ben went and bought a shirt, and I read by book and made some lesson plans.  During the second set, I stood in line for a very long time to get us a piece of pizza to share, and on the way back, I stepped in a very large mud puddle, drenching both my shoes and my pants.  The music was good, our seats were good, and I wasn't feeling nearly as disturbed as the night before.


Even though Ben swore beforehand that we were going to stay until the last note, he got tired during the second set break.  He packed up his chair and said he'd had enough.  We wandered through the lot for a while, and Ben got another shirt.  Long walk back to the car, and we were on our way.


We spent the rest of the night in a fierce debate on many topics, nearly all of which related back to morality.  I have to say that I got my feelings hurt pretty badly, and we both went to sleep upset.




25 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment