Friday, October 21, 2016

Massachusetts: August 6, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben during the summer of 2003....


Day 61--Wednesday, August 6, 2003


We slept until we woke up, which was a nice treat after the past few days of really hustling in the morning.  The showers were a little on the gross side, and my first quarter was spent on ice-cold water before it warmed up with the second quarter.  However, the good news is that while I was suffering through the shower, Ben got a job!!


The people from Temporary Avenue called back and cemented the position at Brylane for him.  He will make $14.50 an hour, and he'll 95% for sure be offered a permanent position with a salary somewhere from the mid-$30s to the mid-$40s after the first three weeks or month or so.  He will start on Monday, but they agreed to let him work half days the first week so he can have a chance to get settled in Indy again.  Things could simply not be better.  I'm so proud of him!




We called his dad and got the secretary, who was thrilled for him.  We later got a hold of his mom too.  My dad was bouncing off the walls, and Holly B. said she had chills because she was so glad.  So Ben was really on cloud nine!


We went into town, and I got some pizza for lunch while Ben ate my leftovers from last night.  We then took a stroll along the beach and rode the carousel horses that are the oldest in the US.  We also had ice cream at Mad Martha's.  That was about enough excitement for one day, and we headed back to the campsite.





Ben stayed at the lodge to play pinball, and I went back to take a nap.  When I woke up from my nap and crawled out of the tent, I found Ben fast asleep on the picnic table.  He was so cute!  I sat on the picnic table at the next site over and read my book, but when my back got sore and I came back to our site to get out my camp chair, I woke him up with the car door.  Oops.




We spent a nice, peaceful evening at our campsite, eating vegetable soup, couscous, and popcorn, starting into our last campfire of the summer, and reading.  We had a bit of a scary moment when a skunk came strolling up to our site, but Ben managed to shoo it away.  We later heard much scary rustling in the underbrush, so we got scared and went to bed early!


25 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment