Friday, October 7, 2016

Michigan: July 25, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben during the summer of 2003....


Day 49--Friday, July 25, 2003


Ben was up and out by the time the rest of us got up, since he had run into Onekama to get some birthday cards and a gift for his mother.  I mad sure that someone woke me up in plenty of time to get showered and clean before the Meyaards arrived today, which made me feel a little better about the day from the start.


Dad, Ben, Tom, and Spencer set out for another day of golfing, and the girls settled in on Portage Beach.  Eventually everyone went away except Helen and Jill, and I sat there talking to them.  We had great conversations about family, the wedding, and life, and I had a really good time talking with them.  Unfortunately, I burned myself to an absolute crisp while doing so.


Since I hadn't been in the water for the whole trip, Helen, Jill, Lindsay, and I decided to take a little dip in Lake Michigan.  I had not counted on the temperature--it was so cold that I started to lose touch with my feet as soon as I got in.  I don't think I've ever felt water that cold!


Helen and Jill returned to Portage Lake for more sun, but I just couldn't handle it.  I sat in the shade on the porch and talked to Kristin, Carly, and FJ while repeatedly slathering huge amounts of aloe on the extremely painful sunburn on my legs.  Helen and Jill joined us after a while, and then I eventually decided that I needed to go inside and soak my legs in a bathtub.  Once in the bathroom, I discovered that I could now permanently tell where my swimsuit lines had been, since my entire body was burned red and I was radiating enough heat to be a furnace, although only my legs hurt so badly.


Ben's family set out for home before dinner, and the rest of us returned to the dining room for one final night.  We had a "kids' table" and an "adults' table," since Spencer and Rita ate with Dad and Diane.  I ordered some chicken strips and made it through a little less than two of them before I couldn't take it anymore.  Not only did I still feel sick, but I was now shaking from the waves of hot and cold that my sunburn provided.  I returned to the room and tucked myself into bed with my book.  Ben went to the store to get me some white vinegar, which Rita recommended for taking the sting out of sunburns.  Diane beat him back to the room, however, with some white vinegar from the kitchen.


I spent quite a bit of time dabbing white vinegar across my entire body in the bathroom, but when it got into my pores, it really only made it hurt more.  I crawled into bed and read until Lindsay was ready to shut off the lights and go to sleep.



20 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment