Sunday, October 9, 2016

Michigan: July 27, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben during the summer of 2003....


Day 51--Sunday, July 27, 2003


My sunburn really tightened up during the night, making it even harder to move than it had been for the past two days.  I managed to drag myself to the bathroom, where my shower took ages because of the huge and frightening bugs that inhabited it.  My shower was the end one of three, and all the nasty runoff water from the other two showers sloped down into my drain.  And to top it all off, the only way to operate the water was by pushing a button in the wall, which gave about five seconds of water for each time it was pressed, and had no method of temperature control whatsoever.


Needless to say, I was not in the best mood by the time we got packed up and on the road.  We did have some good luck in arriving at the docks only minutes before the ferry for Mackinac Island left, so we didn't have to wait around there.  I liked looking out over the water during the ferry ride, but Ben was looking pretty green by the time we got to the island.  Our first two jobs upon arriving were to find him a bathroom and to sit down and rest for a while.


After those were accomplished, we decided against renting bikes because my sunburn severely restricted my movement.  Instead, we decided to walk around the island.  We saw the fort and some of the big hotels, and we strolled along the shoreline, just taking in the calm beauty.  When we returned to the town area, we sampled different kinds of fudge in different shops.






As for our big life decisions, neither of us really felt that we had been inspired during the night.  While we were sitting on Mackinac Island, I told Ben that I thought we should keep going with our trip.  My reasoning was that I wouldn't lose anything by finishing out the trip or by going home and getting work done early, but that he would lose out by giving up the trip and then sitting around at home.  So, we would press onwards.


Our main topic of conversation during our walk was how to save money in the fall.  We discussed everything from canceling telephone service to shortening showers to working extra jobs to riding our bikes to work.  We made an extensive list of all these ideas when we got back in the car, after another ferry ride which did nothing to increase Ben's state of health.  Making the list didn't really change anything, but it certainly made me feel better because we were finally DOING something to change our circumstances instead of just moaning about them.




20 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment