Friday, October 14, 2016

New Hampshire: July 30, 2003

A continuation of the cross-country adventure I shared with Ben during the summer of 2003....


Day 54--Wednesday, July 30, 2003


Our next drive took us to North Hampton, New Hampshire, and the home of Tracy, my old high school youth group director from First Federated Church, and her husband Mike, also formerly a youth pastor in Peoria.  We arrived shortly before dinnertime and were greeted with open arms.  Tracy and Mike made salmon, corn on the cob, and pasta with fresh vegetables for dinner, and we ate at the big dining room table with them, Mike's sons Abe and Jacob, and Mike and Tracy's two-year-old daughter Sophia.




The night consisted of a lot of Ben and I sitting around and talking with Tracy.  We heard all of the reasons that she and Mike don't like New Hampshire and their plans for moving to Champaign in November.  We filled Tracy in on our trip adventures and told her the whole lengthy story of our search for a church in Indianapolis.  Talking to Tracy, I felt as if no time had passed since our last meeting.  I'm so glad that she'll be close by soon!  I've said many times that I want to be like Tracy when I "grow up," and spending this evening talking to her, I realized that I have already become more like her than I realized.  Many of my religious, political, and social beliefs are very closely related to hers, and I didn't even realize it until now.  I wonder how much of that is borne of conversations we had when I was younger.


Our big evening activity was to all pack into the car and drive to Lago's for ice cream.  Even the baby sized cone was more than I could eat!  (I guess I've already struck out on only eating Ben and Jerry's from here on out.)  When we got back to the house, the kids went to bed and Tracy, Mike, Ben, and I sat around talking until I was so tired that I couldn't take it anymore, at which point I got to go to bed in a nice big bed in the guest bedroom while Ben stretched out on his mat on the floor next to me.




23 / 40

No comments:

Post a Comment